Which Bali tattoo artists make the best portrait tattoos?
“Best” can mean a lot of things. When describing tattooed portraits, ones which are the most recognizable, most attractive or most realistic (or all of those things) will likely be considered the bests.
To figure out which Bali tattoo artist you might fancy most for portraits, look at tattoos of celebrities.
- If a tattooed portrait of a massively famous person is any good, you should immediately recognize who it is.
Marilyn Monroe tattoo by Jeff Woa |Pererenan, Bali 2019
- When a celebrity portrait is easy to recognize, so are any imperfections. If you’re very familiar with a certain face or figure, then it’s obvious if the nose is too big or the eyes are too small or the colors are odd.
Maybe you’ll see that there’s just something not quite right about it, even if you can’t pinpoint what part exactly could be better.
- If the art is really good, it should invoke the same emotional response from you as would a photograph or encounter with that person.
Are you happy to see them? Turned on? Inspired to watch that film or listen to their album?
- Could a tattoo be so realistic and perfect that it stuns you? That would be good too, right?
This color tattoo of basketball hall-of-famer Michael Jordan on a man’s shin was awarded ‘Best of Day 2’ at Bali Tattoo Expo [May] 2019.
Tattoo Artist: Lolit Made, Bali Tattoo Art Gallery
- If you’re interested in getting a portrait tattoo (of a celebrity or someone else) because you know who you’d like to have, although haven’t yet decided what the design would be, then you’ll benefit from style inspiration.
Celebrity Portrait Tattoos
Tattoos of Musicians
Musicians, movie stars (and actors in character) and athletes seem to be the most popular subjects of celebrity tattoo portraits that we see in Bali.
Tattoos of Rappers
The meaning of a portrait tattoo is often admiration and #RESPECT. That’s why we gave each solo artist a dedicated tattoo gallery as much as possible.
When it looks like Tupac followed Alice into Wonderland and had a shrinky-dinks drink, got something funny to call him?
‘2 Cent’ comes to mind…
No joke tho this tiny Tupac portrait by Julian for TEAM COLLECTIVE won the ‘Best Small Color’ category at Bali Tattoo Expo 2019.
That’s the easiest sixpac you ever got.
Tattoos of Lil Wayne
Ice Cube Tattoos
No, he doesn’t melt in Bali. He looks good.
Tattoos of Wiz Khalifa
Tattoos of The Game
Tattoos of Athletes
Fictional Characters and Caricatures
Tattoo portraits that exaggerate facial features like cartoons help with recognition and adds personality to the artwork.
Batman’s Joker Tattoos
Color Portrait Tattoos
Full color designs are suited to modern celebs, athletes and action heroes who are most easily identified by their signature style, team colors or kick-ass costume.
Sabian Ink opened in Kuta, Bali in 2017 headed by tattoo artist/studio co-founder Ata Ink from Palu whose color tattoos received recognition within the local community and at tattoo expos abroad rocket-launching the studio to the top of its game.
This color tattoo portrait collection was made by Ebie Scrow at Goldfinger Tattoo Studio in Bali, Indonesia over a course of years (prior to 2017).
Black and Grey Portraits
A realistic grayscale portrait is the preferred style for a tattoo of an early Hollywood star.
Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe
Black and grey portraiture not only brings to mind iconic 1950’s imagery, but is also suited to basically any era before color photography and TV. We’ll put Roman Catholic, Classic Art and Greek Mythology in a separate blog post.
Tattoos of Historic Figures
Last update: 12 November 2018.
Thanks for checking us out!
If you like this post, please share it or leave a comment. As always, we appreciate your feedback and want to know if there’s anything we could improve upon.